Zambia, national Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Alteration of Part III of the Constitution
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Alteration of Part III of the Constitution
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Alteration of Constitution
(1) Subject to the provisions of this Article, Parliament may alter this Constitution or the
Constitution of Zambia Act, 1991.
(2) Subject to cause (3) a bill for the alteration of this Constitution or the Constitution of Zambia Act, 1991 shall not be passed unless
(a) not less than thirty days before the first reading of the bill in the National Assembly the text of the bill is published in the Gazette; and
(b) the bill is supported on second and third readings by the votes of not less than two thirds of all the members of the Assembly.
(3) A bill for the alteration of Part III of this Constitution or of this Article shall not be passed unless before the first reading of the bill in the National Assembly it has been put to a National referendum with or without amendment by not less than fifty percent of persons entitled to be registered as voters for the purposes of Presidential and parliamentary elections.
(4) Any referendum conducted for the purposes of clause (3) shall be so conducted and supervised in such manner as may be prescribed by or under an Act of Parliament.
References: Constitution of Zambia, 1996 (accessed September 7, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To amend the constitution in certain cases
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Not less than 50% entitled to be registered as voters
- Approval Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention special approval quorum
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: