Vorarlberg, Austria, local Popular or citizens initiative [PCI] - Volksbegehren nach dem GemeindegesetzI
- Popular or citizens initiative [PCI]
- Vorarlberg, Austria
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Volksbegehren nach dem Gemeindegesetz
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Referendum and popular consultation
The law shall regulate the conditions under which matters within the municipality's own sphere of activity in the area of state execution are to be decided or decreed (referendum) and reviewed ( popular consultation) by a vote of the voters of the municipality (Art. 13 para. 4).
References: Verfassungsgesetz über die Verfassung des Landes Vorarlberg, 1999 (accessed Oct. 6, 2018)
(1) A citizens' initiative may require that matters of the municipality's own sphere of activity be dealt with in a certain manner.
(4) If the municipal representation refuses to take into account a citizens' initiative submitted by at least 25% of the voters of the municipality (§ 20), it shall be submitted to a referendum.
(5) If the municipal representation decides that the citizens' initiative is to be taken into account, it shall instruct any other organs of the municipality responsible for dealing with the matter in question accordingly.
(1) In matters relating to the municipality's own sphere of activity, decisions may be taken or decreed by a vote of the voters of the municipality (§ 20) (referendum). A referendum shall be ordered by order of the mayor if it is required pursuant to § 21 (4), (..)
Referenxes: Gemeindegesetz, 1985 (accessed Oct. 6, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To decide on the issue of an agenda initiative If the municipal representation refuses to take it into account and the initiative gained the support of 25% of the electorate
- Decision maker:
- Number Of Signatures:
- 25% of the electorate
- Available Time:
- 8 weeks
- Turnout Quorum:
- No turnout quorum found in legal source
- Approval Quorum:
- Geographical Quorum:
- No geographical quorum found in legal source
- Excluded Issues:
Administrative acts addressed to specific persons may not be the subject of a referendum.
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Collection Mode:
- Specify Collection Mode:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
The English version here is a courtesy translation!