Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, local Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX] - Petition to establish local service district
- Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX]
- Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Petition to establish local service district
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Petition to be circulated
3. (1) A householder ordinarily resident in an area may circulate a petition among the householders ordinarily resident in the area to determine if it is desirable to establish a local service district.
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), where the proposed local service district will include more than one area a separate petition shall be circulated in each area.
4. (1) The name of every householder signing the petition referred to in section 3 shall be written in the hand of that householder.
(2) If the householder is unable to sign the petition by writing his or her name, he or she may do so by making his or her mark.
(3) Where the householder signs the petition by making his or her mark under subsection (2), it shall be certified by the householder who circulates the petition.
5. An area shall not be established as a local service district or included as part of a local service district unless the petition referred to in section 3 is signed by a majority of the householders ordinarily resident of the area.
Order by minister
6. Upon receipt of the petition referred to in section 3, the minister may issue an order
(a) to establish the area named in the petition as a local service district by the name of the "Local Service District of ";
(b) to describe the boundaries of the local service district by the use of the name by which the area is generally and commonly known, or otherwise; and
(c) to provide for the election of a committee.
7. (1) Within 60 days of the issuance of an order under section 6, the householders who circulated the petition shall call a meeting comprising at least 25% of the householders ordinarily resident in each area included in the local service district for the purpose of electing a committee.
(2) The meeting referred to in subsection (1) shall be called by posting a notice in at least 2 public places in each area included in the local service district at least 7 days before the date of the meeting.
References: CONSOLIDATED NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR REGULATION 747/96 Local Service District Regulations under the Municipalities Act , (2011)
- Subject Matter:
To establish local service district
- Decision maker:
- Number Of Signatures:
- Majority of Housholders ordinarily resident of area
- Available Time:
- No information in legal source
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Collection Mode:
- Specify Collection Mode:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: