Lithuania, national Popular or citizens initiative [PCI]
- Popular or citizens initiative [PCI]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
The most significant issues concerning the life of the State and the Nation shall be decided by referendum.
In the cases established by law, the Seimas shall announce a referendum.
A referendum shall also be announced if not less than 300,000 citizens with the electoral right so request.
The procedure for the announcement and execution of a referendum shall be established by law.
References: Constitution of Lithuania,(accessed July 25, 2018)
Article 4. Mandatory Referendums
1. Referendums shall be mandatory with regard to the following issues:
2. Mandatory referendums may be held also with regard to other laws or provisions thereof, which 300 thousand citizens having the right to vote or the Seimas shall submit a proposal for to be decided by means of a referendum.
Article 7. Determination of Results of Mandatory Referendum
1. A mandatory referendum shall be deemed having taken place, if over one half of the citizens, having the right to vote and having been registered in voter lists, have taken part in it.
4. A resolution regarding other issues, laws or provisions thereof, which have been deliberated in a mandatory referendum, shall be deemed as approved, if more than one half of the citizens, who had taken part in the referendum, but at least one - third of the citizens having the right to vote and having been registered on voter lists
Article 11. Collection of Citizens Signatures
5. A three-month time limit shall be established in order to implement the provisions of the right of the citizens initiative to call a referendum. It shall be calculated from the day of issuing the citizen signature sheets at the Central Electoral Committee.
References: Law on Referendum 2002, (accessed July 25, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
Citizens initiated Referendum on laws or provisions
- Decision maker:
- Number Of Signatures:
- 300 000
- Available Time:
- 3 months
- Turnout Quorum:
- 50%+ of total electorate taking part; Yes votes must be at least 1/3 of electorate
- Approval Quorum:
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Collection Mode:
- Specify Collection Mode:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
Free use of mass media in referendum