France, national Authorities' minority plebiscite [MTP] - Un référendum: une proposition de loi - Combined instrument (MTP+PAX)
- Authorities' minority plebiscite [MTP]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Un référendum: une proposition de loi
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
A referendum concerning a subject mentioned in the first paragraph may be held upon the initiative of one fifth of the Members of Parliament, supported by one tenth of the voters enrolled on the electoral register. This initiative shall take the form of a Private Members Bill and shall not be applied to the repeal of a statutory provision promulgated for less than one year.
The conditions by which it is introduced and those according to which the Constitutional Council monitors the respect of the provisions of the previous paragraph, are set down by an Institutional Act.
If the Private Members Bill has not been considered by the two Houses within a period set by the Institutional Act, the President of the Republic shall submit it to a referendum.
Where the decision of the French people in the referendum is not favourable to the Private Members Bill, no new referendum proposal on the same subject may be submitted before the end of a period of two years following the date of the vote.
Where the outcome of the referendum is favourable to the Government Bill or to the Private Members Bill, the President of the Republic shall promulgate the resulting statute within fifteen days following the proclamation of the results of the vote.
References: Constitution of France, 1958, (accessed 13.04.2020)
- Subject Matter:
Referendum initiated by minority of Parliament - needs supportive signatures!
- 1/5 of member of parliament plus support of 1/10 of electorate
- 1/5 of member of parliament plus support of 1/10 of electorate : "If the Private Members Bill has not been considered by the two Houses within a period set by the Institutional Act, the President of the Republic shall submit it to a referendum."
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- No turnout quorum found in legal source
- Approval Quorum:
- No special approval quorum found in legal source
- Geographical Quorum:
- No geographical quorum found in legal source
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
Institutional Acts, before their promulgation, Private Members Bills mentioned in article 11 before they are submitted to referendum, and the Rules of Procedure of the Houses of Parliament shall, before coming into force, be referred to the Constitutional Council, which shall rule on their conformity with the Constitution. (..)
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
See the correspnding PAX-instrument:https://www.direct-democracy-navigator.org/legal_designs/france-national-agenda-setting-initiative-pax-un-referendum-une-proposition-de-loi