Denmark, national Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX] - Borgerforslag
- Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Establishing a system of citizen proposals
§ 1. The Danish Parliament establishes a scheme whereby persons who have the right to vote for the Danish Parliament, may submit proposals with regard to the subsequent treatment as motions in the Parliament, and to other persons who satisfy the same condition, who may manifest their support for such a resolution (citizens' proposal).
(2). A citizen proposal content must comply with the rules deriving from article 11, paragraph 2.
§ 2. The scheme is established as a digital solution, which is made available through the website www.borgerforslag.dk
§ 3. Persons who cannot or do not have the option of using the digital solution, can use the alternative approach shown in §16.
Submission of citizen proposals by use of the digital solution
§ 4. A citizen who wants to submit a citizen proposal must log on to the website with his NemID and specify his cpr-number. The digital solution validates the identity of the citizen by comparing the NemID-PID with the specified cpr-number. The digital solution then checks on the notice boards at the central register of persons that the main author still has the right to vote for the Folketing.
(2) The author must inform about his contact information in the form of an e-mail address.
§ 5. After registring the author may write his proposal in an electronic template. The proposal must consist of a wide headline of a maximum of 140 characters including spaces, a proposal text with a maximum of 2,000 characters including spaces and explanatory and detailed comments on a maximum of 10,000 characters including spaces.
§ 6. The main author must review the proposal and accept it. After the submission cannot be revoked or changed.
The main author must also accept to appear publicly as the proposal's main author providing the name and municipality of residence and contact information, see. section 4, paragraph 2, and confirm to agree that the acceptance thereof cannot be taken back.
§ 7. The main author must specify at least 3 and no more than 10 other persons have the right to vote for the Danish Parliament, and as co-authors publicly will be prepared to stand behind the proposal along with the main author himself. The main author must inform about the co-authors names and e-mail addresses.
§ 9. An intended supporter, who wishes to confirm his support must log on to the website with NemID and specify its cpr-number. The digital solution validates the identity of the citizen by comparing the NemID-PID with the specified cpr-number. The digital solution then checks on the notice boards at the central register of persons that the person concerned has the right to vote to the Folketing.
Expression of support for citizen proposals through the use of the digital solution
§ 12. A proposal, which has not been rejected in accordance with the provisions of section 11, will be made publicly available for the collection of declarations of support through the digital solution for a period of 180 days. The website of the digital solution will maintain a list of all proposals which currently have on-going collection of declarations of support.
(2). After a proposal has been made available to the public for the collection of declarations of support, information, which implies that the proposal should have been rejected in accordance with the rules laid down in section 11, paragraph 2, the Administration of the Folketing may decide to stop the collection of declarations of support and to remove the proposal from the list on the website. The proposal's main author and co-authors will be informed reported thereon.
§ 13. A citizen who wants to support a proposal (a supporter), will select the proposal in question on the website of the digital solution and then record his support. Supporters must log in using NemID and specify his social security number. The digital solution validates the identity by comparing NemID-PID with the given social security number. The digital solution then check by opening in the Central Person register that the supporter has the right to vote to the Folketing. At the same time, it is checked that the support is not at the same time the main or co-author of the same proposal or has previously expressed its support for the proposal.
Section 14. After the end of the 180 day period for collecting support statements, proposals that have not reached 50,000 support declarations exceed a list of completed collections on the digital solution website.
The main and co-authors are informed accordingly.
§ 15. If a proposal achieves within 180-day period at least 50,000 support declarations, it shall on the website of the the digital solution with an endorsement thereon, and the main author and co-authors will be informed accordingly.
(2) The draft will then be presented to the Folketing as motion, bear it on the website of the digital solution with an endorsement to that effect and a reference to the information on the proposed resolution on The Folketing website.
(3) The collection of statements of support for a proposal, which has received at least 50,000 support statements within 180-day period, continues until the Folketing's treatment of the proposal, completed with a resolution, or until it is clarified that the proposal will not be made for the Folketing as motion.
Alternative procedure for persons who cannot or do not have the option of using the digital solution
§ 16. Persons who cannot or do not have the option of using the digital solution, can instead make use of a form, as made available by the Folketing, to indicate that they want to be the main author of a proposal, sponsored by a proposal or support of a proposal.
References: Bekendtgørelse om en ordning for borgerforslag med henblik på behandling i Folketinget, 2018 (accessed September 10, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To submit proposals with regard to the subsequent treatment as motions in the Parliament
- Decision maker:
- Number Of Signatures:
- 50 000
- Available Time:
- 180 days
- Geographical Quorum:
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
(2) A proposal must be rejected if it
1) concerns an amendment of the Basic Law,
2) according to its content clearly can not finally be implemented within the framework of the current constitution,
3) is not written in Danish,
4) is completely incoherent or incomprehensible,
5) clearly has the characteristics of a joke,
6) does not present any concrete proposals, including if it essentially has the character of a pure expression of opinion or a call for no additional specific action regarding a problem,
7) contains several proposals that have no evident substantive coherence among themselves,
8) regards the municipalities or regions' individual decisions or private individual companies and organisations dispositions,
9) regards conditions in Greenland or on the Faroe Islands, which fall under the autonomy and home rule authorities competence,
10) regards the determination of a particular case, which is or has been under treatment in the courts or in public administration,
11) contains information about the private, including economic conditions of the main author, co-authors or other named or otherwise identifiable individuals, unless disclosed in the public,
12) unfairly identifies or otherwise identifiable individuals including public employees
13) contains advertising or other commercial messages or call for support to certain organisations, etc.,
14) includes links to websites, etc.,
15) contains information that could reasonably be expected to be subject to confidentiality,
16) contains material that could reasonably be expected to be covered by someone else's copyright or other intellectual property rights,
17) contains defamatory or blatantly offensive statements or blatantly false claims,
18) contains threatening, abusive or degrading statements about groups in society,
19) contains profanity or otherwise completely inappropriate language,
20) condones, glorifies or encourages crime,
21) for reasons other than those mentioned clearly fall outside the purpose of the scheme or
22) in any way other than those mentioned have a content, if publicised on a website which is operated for the Folketing, will be contrary to applicable law or the Danish Parliament's dignity.
(4). The main author and co-authors will be informed about the Folketing Administrative decisions in accordance with paragraphs 2 and 3.
- Collection Mode:
- Specify Collection Mode:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
See the website here: https://www.ft.dk/aktuelt/tema/borgerforslag
The English version here is a courtesy translation only. Only the original Danish version is binding.