Bremen, Germany, regional Plebiscite [ATP] - Volksentscheid
- Plebiscite [ATP]
- Bremen, Germany
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
(1) The referendum takes place:
a) if the the majority of the members of Parliament submits a constitutional amendment to the referendum;
b) if Parliament submits another question belonging to its jurisdiction to the referendum;
(1) A bill or other template referred to in article 70 is accepted by referendum, if the majority of those who cast their votes, but at least one-fifth of the electorate, agrees.
(2) In the case of constitutional amendments on the basis of a referendum, more two-fifths of the electorate for the referendum must vote in favor.
(...) A change in the State Constitution, which touches the principles set in articles 143, 144, 145 (1) and 147 and the division of the electoral area in the electoral areas of Bremen and Bremerhaven (art. 75), is only possible by referendum or unanimous decision of Parliament.
References: LANDESVERFASSUNG der FREIEN HANSESTADT BREMEN, 1947 (accessed Dec. 3, 2019))
- Subject Matter:
To call a referendum about certain changes of the constitution, if parliament does not decide unanimously, other constitutional amendments, other questions
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Approval Quorum:
- Laws: majority of those who cast their votes, but at least one-fifth of the electorate; Constitutional amendments: Majority but at least two-fifths of the electorate.
- Geographical Quorum:
- Excluded Issues:
§70 (3) A referendum is inadmissible under (1) on the current budget, remuneration or salaries of public employees or equivalent persons and about taxes, levies, contributions and fees and details of such bills. Referendums with effect for future budget plans are permitted insofar as they do not significantly alter the structure of a future budget, comply with the constitutional rules for the budget law, which also Parliament has to follow for the drafting of the budget and no budgetary positions are used for counter funding, which are by law, contractual or otherwise legally bound.
References: LANDESVERFASSUNG der FREIEN HANSESTADT BREMEN, 1947 (accessed Dec. 3, 2019)
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
The English language version here is provided as a courtesy. The German language text is the official version.