Arkansas, USA, regional Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Approval by electors
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- Arkansas, USA
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Approval by electors - Taxes, Bonds
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Arkansas Constitution Article 5, 38
38 Taxes -- Increase -- Approval by electors.
2. None of the rates for property, excise, privilege or personal taxes, now levied shall be increased by the General Assembly except after the approval of the qualified electors voting thereon at an election, or in case of emergency, by the votes of three-fourths of the members elected to each House of the General Assembly. [As added to Art. 5 by Const. Amend. 19.]
AMENDMENT 20. STATE BONDS.
Bonds prohibited except when approved by majority vote of electors. -- Except for the purpose of refunding the existing outstanding indebtedness of the State and for assuming and refunding valid outstanding road improvement district bonds, the State of Arkansas shall issue no bonds or other evidence of indebtedness pledging the faith and credit of the State or any of its revenues for any purpose whatsoever, except by and with the consent of the majority of the qualified electors of the State voting on the question at a general election or at a special election called for that purpose.
Article 14 Education
(4) The General Assembly may by law propose an increase or decrease in the uniform rate of tax and submit the question to the electors of the state at the next general election. If a majority of the electors of the state voting on the issue vote For the proposed increase or decrease in the uniform rate of tax, the uniform rate of tax shall be increased or decreased as approved. If a majority of the electors of the state voting on the issue vote Against the proposed increase or decrease in the uniform rate of tax, the uniform rate of tax shall continue to be levied at the rate for the year in which the election is held.
Source: Constitution of the State of Arkansas of 1874 (accessed 1 Feb. 2017)
- Subject Matter:
Requirement of a referendum when passing laws regarding property, excise, priviledge or personal taxes and issuing bonds
- Authority : Both houses of legislature
- Law : Constitution
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention turnout quorum
- Approval Quorum:
- Majority of votes cast
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
All issues outside of increasing "property, excise, privilege or personal taxes" and issuing "bonds or other evidence of indebtedness pledging the faith and credit of the State or any of its revenues"
Source: The Constitution of the State of Arkansas of 1874 (accessed 1 Feb. 2017)
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: