Aosta Valley, Italy, local Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Referendum consultivo
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- 11100 Aosta, Aosta Valley, Italy
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Referendum consultivo
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
(Referendum for the establishment of new municipalities and the modification of their constituencies and denominations)
1. The establishment of new municipalities, including by merging several contiguous municipalities, as well as the modification of constituencies and municipal denominations, shall be determined by regional law, after consultation with the voters of the municipalities concerned by means of the consultative referendum governed by this Chapter.
(Deliberation and holding of the referendum)
1. The referendum shall be decided by the Consiglio della Valle, by an absolute majority of its members, on the initiative of the Regional Government or of each member of the Consiglio della Valle.
2. The deliberation of the Consiglio della Valle shall contain the question to be submitted to a referendum and shall identify, according to the criteria set forth in paragraph 3, the territory where the voters called for consultation reside.
3. The voters shall take part in the referendum:
a) in the case of the elevation of one or more hamlets in an autonomous municipality, both the voters of the hamlets and the voters of the remaining parts of the territory of the municipality or municipalities from which the detachment is proposed;
(b) in the case of the transfer of fractions from one municipality to another, both the voters of the territory of the municipality from which the transfer is proposed and the voters of the municipality to which aggregation is requested;
(c) in the case of a merger between two or more municipalities, the voters of the municipalities involved in the merger;
(d) in the case of a change in the name of the Municipality, all the voters of the Municipality concerned.
4. The President of the Region shall convene, by decree, the consultative referendum within ten days of the transmission of the Council resolution referred to in paragraph 2 by the President of the Council of the Valley.
(Outcome of the referendum)
1. The consultative referendum shall be valid regardless of the number of voters who participated in it.
2. The President of the Region shall ensure that the result of the referendum is published in the Official Gazette of the Region.
References: Legge regionale 25 giugno 2003, n. 19 Disciplina dell'iniziativa legislativa popolare, del referendum propositivo, abrogativo e consultivo, ai sensi dell'articolo 15, secondo comma, dello Statuto speciale. (accessed April 14, 2020)
- Subject Matter:
To call a referendum on the establishment of new municipalities, including by merging several contiguous municipalities, as well as the modification of constituencies and municipal denominations.
- Decision maker:
- Local electorate concerned
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Approval Quorum:
- Majority of valid votes
- Geographical Quorum:
- Excluded Issues:
Referendum for the issues of establishment of new municipalities and the modification of their constituencies and denominations only
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
The English version here is a courtesy translation only.