Western Australia, Australia, local Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Electors’ meeting in districts
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- Western Australia, Australia
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Electors’ meeting in districts
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
Division 2 — Council meetings, committees and their meetings and electors’ meetings
Subdivision 4 — Electors’ meetings
5.26. Term used: electors
In this Subdivision — electors includes ratepayers.
5.27. Electors’ general meetings
(1) A general meeting of the electors of a district is to be held once every financial year.
(2) A general meeting is to be held on a day selected by the local government but not more than 56 days after the local government accepts the annual report for the previous financial year.
(3) The matters to be discussed at general electors’ meetings are to be those prescribed.
5.29. Convening electors’ meetings
(1) The CEO is to convene an electors’ meeting by giving — (a) at least 14 days’ local public notice; and (b) each council member at least 14 days’ notice, of the date, time, place and purpose of the meeting.
(2) The local public notice referred to in subsection (1)(a) is to be treated as having commenced at the time of publication of the notice under section 1.7(1)(a) and is to continue by way of exhibition under section 1.7(1)(b) and (c) until the meeting has been held
5.31. Procedure for electors’ meetings
The procedure to be followed at, and in respect of, electors’ meetings and the methods of voting at electors’ meetings are to be in accordance with regulations.
5.33. Decisions made at electors’ meetings
(1) All decisions made at an electors’ meeting are to be considered at the next ordinary council meeting or, if that is not practicable —
(a) at the first ordinary council meeting after that meeting; or
(b) at a special meeting called for that purpose, whichever happens first.
(2) If at a meeting of the council a local government makes a decision in response to a decision made at an electors’ meeting, the reasons for the decision are to be recorded in the minutes of the council meeting.
References: Western Australia Local Government Act 1995 (accessed March 30,2020)
- Subject Matter:
To call an electors' meeting on certain matters
- Decision maker:
- Electorate of district present in meeting
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- None found
- Approval Quorum:
- No special approval quorum set
- Geographical Quorum:
- No geographical quorum found
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: