Styria, Austria, local Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX] - Initiativrecht
- Agenda (setting) initiative [PAX]
- Styria, Austria
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
People's rights in the municipality
Right of initiative
Right of initiative
(1) The right of initiative of the citizens of the municipality includes the request for the enactment, amendment or repeal of regulations and other measures in matters of their own sphere of the municipality. Initiatives concerning concrete personnel questions, elections and decisions concerning certain persons are excluded.
(2) Initiatives can be carried out for the entire municipality or for parts of the municipality (localities, municipalities).
(3) The initiative can be presented in the form of a simple suggestion or as an elaborated draft and must contain a justification. The prepared template shall contain a list showing the expected total load (direct load, subsequent load) on the municipality and a justification of the need for the measure.
(4) An initiative shall be deemed to exist if it is supported by
a) at least 10 per cent or 10,000 of those eligible to vote for the municipal council,
(b) for a part of the municipality, at least 10 % but not less than 30 of those eligible to vote on the municipal council who have their principal place of residence in the part of the municipality concerned.
(1) An initiative shall be supported by a handwritten signature and the indication of the first name, surname, date of birth and address of the principal place of residence in legible writing on support lists in accordance with Para. 2.
(2) Prior to the first entry, the support lists shall contain
(a) the full text of the initiative,
(b) a statement of reasons,
(c) a list (section 116(3)),
(d) one person entitled to vote as agent for service representing the signatories and one person entitled to vote as his alternate,
(e) to contain a declaration that the signatories support the initiative by their registration,. On the other attached pages, a short name of the initiative and a reference to the full text before the first registration are sufficient. The support lists shall be numbered consecutively.
(3) Upon request, the municipality shall provide suitable forms for support lists free of charge.
(4) The initiative shall be addressed to the mayor.
Treatment of the initiative
(1) The competent body of the municipality shall deal with the initiative in accordance with the rules of procedure and in any case decide on it within one year.
(2) The decision shall be announced by posting it on the official notice board of the municipality and shall be made public in accordance with local custom and verifiably delivered to the authorised recipient.
Notification and statement by the person authorised to receive the documents
(1) In the case of initiatives which are dealt with by the local council, the person authorised to receive service of documents shall be informed of the meetings of the local council in which the initiative is discussed and decided upon, in good time, but at least 48 hours before the meeting of the local council.
2. The person authorised to receive service shall have the right to submit a written statement on the decision of local council within three weeks after the decision has been taken, to be brought to the attention of the local council at the next meeting.
References: Steiermärkisches Volksrechtegesetz, 1986, (accessed Oct. 6, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To request for the enactment, amendment or repeal of regulations and other measures in matters of their own sphere of the municipality
- Decision maker:
- Municipal authorities
- Number Of Signatures:
- 10% of electorate or 10000 in municipality or part of municipality (minimum 30 in case of municipal part)
- Available Time:
- No time limit found in legal source
- Geographical Quorum:
- No geographical quorum found in legal source
- Excluded Issues:
Initiatives concerning concrete personnel questions, elections and decisions concerning certain persons are excluded
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Collection Mode:
- Specify Collection Mode:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
The English version here is a courtesy translation!