Slovakia, national Plebiscite [ATP] - To call for a referendum
- Plebiscite [ATP]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- To call for a referendum
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
(1) Members of Parliament may submit the proposals for the adoption of a resolution by the National Council of the Slovak Republic on the declaration of a referendum.
(2) A referendum shall be held not later than ninety days after the President of the Slovak Republic has declared it.
(1) A referendum shall not be held less than ninety days before the date of the election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic.
(2) A referendum may be held on the date of the election to the National Council of the Slovak Republic.
(1) The results of the referendum are valid if more than 50 percent of eligible voters participated in it and if the decision was endorsed by more than 50 percent of the participants in the referendum.
(2) The proposals adopted in the referendum will be promulgated by the National Council of the Slovak Republic in the same way as it promulgates laws.
(1) The result of a referendum may be amended or repealed by a constitutional law adopted by the National Council of the Slovak Republic once a period of three years since effectuality of the results has elapsed.
(2) The referendum on the same issue may be repeated not earlier than three years after the previous referendum held.
The procedures for holding a referendum shall be laid down by a law.
References: Constitution of Slovakia, 1992; (accessed July 27, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To call for a plebiscite
- Members of Parliament
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Absolute majority of electors have participated
- Approval Quorum:
- Absolute majority of voters.
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
Fundamental rights; freedoms; taxes: duties and state budget
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: