Slovakia, national Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Referendum on joining a transnational union
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Referendum on joining a transnational union
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
(1) The Slovak Republic may, by its own discretion, enter into a state union with other states. A constitutional law, which shall be confirmed by a referendum, shall decide on the entry into a state union, or on the secession from such union.
(1) The results of the referendum are valid if more than 50 percent of eligible voters participated in it and if the decision was endorsed by more than 50 percent of the participants in the referendum.
(2) The proposals adopted in the referendum will be promulgated by the National Council of the Slovak Republic in the same way as it promulgates laws.
(1) The result of a referendum may be amended or repealed by a constitutional law adopted by the National Council of the Slovak Republic once a period of three years since effectuality of the results has elapsed.
(2) The referendum on the same issue may be repeated not earlier than three years after the previous referendum held.
The procedures for holding a referendum shall be laid down by a law.
References: Constitution of Slovakia; 1992, (accessed July 27, 2018)
- Subject Matter:
To join a transnational union
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Absolute majority of electorate
- Approval Quorum:
- Majority of voters
- Geographical Quorum:
- Legal source does not mention geographical quorum
- Excluded Issues:
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance: