Berlin, Germany, regional Obligatory referendum [LOR] - Volksentscheid [Zusammenschluss der Länder Berlin-Brandenburg]
- Obligatory referendum [LOR]
- Berlin, Germany
- Political level
- Local Name:
- Volksentscheid [Zusammenschluss der Länder Berlin-Brandenburg]
- Normative Level:
- Legally Binding:
- Legally Defined:
(1) The State of Berlin may form a joint Land with the State of Brandenburg.
(2) A State Treaty between the State of Berlin and the State of Brandenburg relating to the formation of a joint
State shall require the consent of a two-thirds majority of the House of Representatives, as well as consent by referendum in accordance wih this State Treaty
(3) The State Treaty may provide that
1. individual powers of the House of Representatives and the Senate may be delegated to joint committees and bodies of the two States,
2. The legislative period of the House of Representatives and the term of office of the Senate shall terminate with the formation of a joint State.
(4) The rights of the House of Representatives shall remain unaffected.
(5) Details governing the referendum shall be the subject of a State Treaty.
References: The Constitution of Berlin, 1995 (accessed Nov. 6, 2019)
- Subject Matter:
General rule to call a referendum on a joint State Berlin-Brandenburg, conducted according a treaty between both states
- Decision maker:
- Available Time:
- Turnout Quorum:
- Approval Quorum:
- Majority of the votes must include 1/4 of the total electorate in each state. See Federal Constitution of Germany Art. 118a.
- Geographical Quorum:
- Majority in each State
- Excluded Issues:
One topic referendum
- Other Formal Requirements:
- Wording Of Ballot Question:
- Interaction With Authorities:
- Supervision And Support:
- Transparency And Finance:
The English language version here is provided as a courtesy. The German language text is the official version.